Wolverhampton Law Society Founded in 1847



Friday 17 December 2010

Wolverhampton Law Society Annual Dinner

President Nick Wynn-Williams reports on another successful Annual Dinner

On the 12th of November the Society held its 163rd Annual dinner at the Molineux. I am pleased to say that despite the gloomy economic situation we had what must have been our best attendance ever, being a total of about 150 Society Members and Guests. We had a considerable number of guests from the Banking and Financial Sector as well as Wolverhampton University. The large number gave a real “buzz” to the evening.

I was honoured to be joined at top table by our Mayor the Right Worshipful Malcolm Gwinnett and the Lady Mayoress, as well as Clive Black the Society’s West Midlands Regional Chair, Chris Clarke our Chancery Lane Representative and the Presidents of Stafford and Walsall Law Societies, Members of the local Judiciary and the President of the local Chartered Accountants Society. In fact Top Table was so full of eminent guests that I had to re-arrange the seating plan!

We kept the speeches to a minimum this year concentrating instead on the Guest Speaker Alfie Moore. The view of Council was that no-one was going to be particularly interested in hearing me ramble on about various issues which related exclusively to the Legal Profession and would hold no particular interest to our other guests. I was particularly pleased to agree to this!

I think those who attended the event will agree that.Council MemberAlex Thompson made an excellent choice in Alfie Moore as our guest speaker. Alfie kept us entertained with his highly amusing tales from his work as a Police Sergeant. I feel Alfie judged his audience well and set a tone appropriate to the event. I am pleased to say that I have had a number of people mention to me how much they enjoyed Alfie’s Speech and the evening in general.

I believe that our Annual Dinner has now become a firm fixture in the Wolverhampton Business Calendar and that word will continue to spread amongst our clients and contacts in other Professions that this is an event well worth supporting.

I would like to thank our Social Secretaries, Alison Westwood and Tracy Davies for their tireless work in arranging not only this Dinner but many more before it and it is with great sadness that I report that after many years service Alison and Tracy have decided that it is time to step down at next year’s AGM. I and my fellow Council members are extremely grateful for their dedication and support over the years.

Finally, thank you to all of you who attended the Dinner and who also brought along guests. Your support is much appreciated.